Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Tuesday Telling

Lady PF in place to start The AM -
Lady PF watching out for the storms in the PM -
and there is a new entry on FalconWire -

At 6pm, it is 76 with thunderstorm -
After BreakfastWithBob, we headed to Auntie Di's - and GReeted a furry happy to see us Khousin Emmy - she brought me a Lambie for a photo -
Whilst Auntie Di gave Khousin E her breakfast, I did some Willow plucking -
Such a happy Wiggles as I got my bag for my CSA items -
******
Our box!

Our buddy - Benning The GReeter was happy to see us - 
Auntie Di gave him a biscuit too -

Benning's Mom Brittany sent one of their periodic emails - and we encourage you to read it and patronize YOUR local farms!

Being a farmer in August is HARD. It's hot, it's humid, the squash constantly needs picked and there's a mile-long to do list. Summer crops are coming in heavy, while fall crops need sowing. Beds need flipped. Successions of scallions, kale, chard, lettuce and more are ready to get in the ground. And while you are doing all of that, it's time to market your produce and SELL it all (hopefully) so that you can pay your bills. 

It is a constant give and take. I find myself giving up something so that I can do something else, something that is deemed more important at the time. Farming is little else than prioritizing. Experience and observation come together to make the decisions of what happens in a given day, and what is put on the back burner, or what is abandoned completely. 

In recent challenging times, I've turned to family and friends for advice and support. 

My entrepreneurial uncle said to me a couple of weeks ago, "You have to do the things you have to do." Though a simple statement, and I knew exactly what he meant. Harvesting. Packing CSA and going to market. Getting plants in the ground. Sowing seeds in the greenhouse. We have to do the things we have to do.

One of my long-time farm mentors said something similar, "You can't do everything. You have to let some of it go." And....I've known this. It's a hard lesson that every farmer must learn, and one that I continue to struggle with. 

I have never considered myself a quitter. However - I have walked down that road more times than I'd like to admit recently. A good friend of mine expressed something that I didn't want to hear at the time. 

"July is no time to quit."

Hmmmm.

Well, she's right. 

Is it OK to want to quit? Yes. 
Does it mean I'm not a good farmer? No.
Is mid-season a good time to consider quitting? Definitely not. 

My physical work in the field is balanced with mental work these days. I remind myself that I'm not a quitter, AND it's OK to want to quit sometimes. It's OK to take the time to process, AND mid-summer is not the time to make any rash decisions about the future of one's farming career.

Through it all, I am reminded of summer's abundance. The weeks coming up are exciting ones full of lots of delicious produce. We are so grateful to get the opportunity to share it with you and your family!
 
See you soon, and happy eating!

Brittany 
Mad Radish Farm

www.madradishfarm.com

P.S. If you'd like to support the work of Mad Radish Farm through some challenging times, there are a few ways you can do so. Scroll down through the buttons below ⬇️
Shop the Farm Stand
Join our CSA
Buy Pasture-Raised Chicken
Order MRF Merch
******
We patronized the stand too - including an eggplant for our next stop at TheNiceNancyLady's house - and some cherry tomatoes - and some of my dozen of KHORN!
After the stop at TNNL's back to Khousin E's -
Willow was doing a water quality check  back there -

She LOVES her mama -
Back to The Khottage and The CSA Photoshoot - celery, my lettuce mix, slicing tomatoes, portobella, criminis, small potatoes, cherry tomatoes - the slicing tomatoes, 'shrooms, and 'tators were in bags with the rest of their family - I convinced a few to pose for a pic -
The purchases from their stand - khorn, garlic, and heirloom tomatoes - I've gotten to enjoy all but the garlic at this point - WIN!!!  I left two of the ears with Auntie Di - and after I finish putting this post in place, I'm going to have more of mine!

After her full day, her Saturday afternoon 'venture was in NapLand!

As I noted on FB, The Help Desk did get me reuntied with the needed WFM program - and I logged in from here Monday morning to do the necessary submission stuffs - THEN went in to The GKP -

All Is Good!

Happy Tuesday EvFURRYone!

All Of Us At NAK's Khottage
Now With KhattleDog!

3 comments:

Dandy Duke said...

All of the fresh veggies look so beautiful and so delicious! Farmers are very hard workers and there is no doubt about that.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "So many delicious fruits and vegetables! My favorite is the crunchy ends of the lettuce where it attaches to the rest of the plant."
Java Bean: "Ayyy, I've tried those, and I just don't get it."
Chaplin: "We're with you, Bean. Bring on the meat!"

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

GREAT photos! August has been so weird this year here. I was driving through the countryside and could not believe just how green and lush everything looks after all the rain we've been getting.

Hugs,
#1 (Ollie sends Woofs)